Dozens dead in twin al-Qaeda attacks in Yemen

Dozens dead in twin al-Qaeda attacks in Yemen

Dozens have been killed in twin attacks on military targets in Yemen, officials said, with two car bombs exploding at a base early on Friday and a separate shooting targeting soldiers.

The car bombs detonated at a military camp in Shabwah in southern Yemen, local security sources said, with reports saying at least 20 people were killed.

Gunmen killed around 10 soldiers in another attack on a military headquarters in the town of Mayfaah, a security official told the Reuters news agency. The AFP news agency reported 56 troops dead in total in both attacks, citing Yemeni police.

Military sources told news agencies the attacks were carried out by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

Al Jazeera’s Khaled Hammadi, reporting from the capital Sana’a, said dozens were killed in the attacks and some security forces were captured.

A concealed bomb in one car exploded among a group of soldiers at the gate as the driver tried to enter the camp. The other was already inside the camp when it exploded, Reuters reported.

The gunmen later stole vehicles belonging to the security forces and escaped, local residents said.

Shabwah Province, a lawless and rugged part of Yemen, has been the scene of much fighting in recent years between armed groups and the security forces.

AQAP and allied groups took advantage of political chaos in Yemen in 2011 to seize control of some towns and surrounding areas in the south of the country.

They were beaten back by Yemeni forces with assistance from the United States last year but have continued to stage attacks against government and military targets.

 

 

Source: Aljazeera

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.